A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a means-tested capital grant for people of any age with a permanent disability of any sort – including physical and learning disabilities, cognitive impairments, such as dementia, and mental illness.

The DFGs are administered by local housing authorities in England.

A DFG will enable you to make changes to your home that will help you to continue living there. It could be used to fund work such as:

  • installing a stair lift
  • installing a level-access shower and wet room
  • providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • widening doors and installing ramps.

In 2024–25, the available grant per household is up to £30,000.

A DFG won’t affect any benefits you receive.

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant

1 Speak to your GP or healthcare specialist

Ask your GP or healthcare specialist to refer your local authority for an assessment. Alternatively, you can approach them individually.

Get a home assessment from an occupational therapist

Before you can apply for a grant, an occupational therapist (OT) from your local council must visit you at home to make an assessment of your needs.

Following the assessment from an OT, the council will decide if the proposed adaptations are 'necessary and appropriate' and are 'reasonable and practicable'.

A means test will also be carried out to see if you have to make a financial contribution to the cost.

Complete the paperwork

This is available from your local authority and can be a lengthy business. A case officer at your local authority will be allocated to your case to help complete the application form.

You may also need to apply for planning permission or building regulations approval for the work. Your local council or an architect, surveyor or an agency working on your behalf will be able to advise you about this.

4 Get the work done

You will need to receive an approval document from the council before you can start the work, which will then need to be completed within a year.

The council will make a final inspection to ensure it has been done satisfactorily. The final instalment of the grant will then be paid.

Once the work is complete and the grant paid, you will then be responsible for maintaining, repairing and insuring the adaptations if you are the owner of the property. If you are renting accommodation, check with your landlord whether they will take responsibility for servicing or maintenance of the adaptations.

How is a DFG paid?

The DFG is paid in instalments as the work progresses and usually directly to the contractor. It will be paid on provision of appropriate invoices, certificates, warranties and completion notices.

Find out more

Related pages

  • How to pay for end-of-life care: living with a terminal illness or caring for someone who is terminally ill can be expensive; find out what financial help is available.
  • Your rights and benefits at work: find out what you might be eligible to receive following a diagnosis of an incurable illness, including Statutory Sick Pay and New Style Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Who provides palliative care?: a detailed look at the different care teams and support services for palliative care at home, in a hospice or elsewhere.

The EPiC Resource Centre is kindly sponsored by Cleenol: working for a cleaner, safer, kinder world.