PIP is a state benefit that helps people under State Pension age deal with some of the extra costs associated with long-term illness or disability. The benefit isn’t means tested, so it doesn’t matter if you have a job or another source of income.

PIP assessment

There are two parts to PIP – the daily living component and the mobility component. You might be eligible for one or both components depending on your needs and how much you’re affected by your condition. You’ll be assessed to work out what level of help you need.

  • The daily living component assessment includes such things as your ability to prepare food and drink, wash, dress, go to the toilet, manage health conditions and make financial decisions.
  • The mobility component assessment includes such things as your ability to ‘plan and follow a journey’ and ‘move around’.

For each component, you are assessed as being eligible for a standard or enhanced rate of benefit.

PIP rates (2024–25)

Daily living component

  • Standard rate for those with a limited ability to carry out daily living activities: £72.65 a week.
  • Enhanced rate for those who are severely limited with carrying out daily living activities: £108.55 a week.

Mobility component

  • Standard rate for those with limited mobility: £28.70 a week.
  • Enhanced rate for those who have severely limited mobility: £75.75 a week.

You will receive a £10 Christmas bonus payment.

PIP payments are tax-free.

PIP eligibility

To apply for PIP, you must:

  • be aged between 16 years and State Pension age; if you’re over State Pension age and claiming for the first time, you must apply for Attendance Allowance (see above)
  • have an illness or disability that means you need help with personal care or getting around
  • have had the condition or disability for three months and expect it to continue for at least nine months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than six months to live).

To qualify, you usually must have lived in the UK for at least two out of the last three years and be in the country when you claim.

Some key PIP facts

  • If you’re currently claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and you’ve reached State Pension age, you will continue to receive the payment, unless you are invited to make a PIP claim.
  • If you have mobility problems and you’re approaching State Pension age, apply for PIP as soon as possible, as this can include an additional payment for mobility problems. After this age you won't be eligible to claim this component.
  • If you move into a hospital, hospice, nursing home or care home and your local authority or NHS pays some or all of your fees, the daily living component of PIP or the care component of DLA will stop after 28 days.

How to apply for Personal Independence Payment

To apply, call the PIP new claims phoneline to request an application form: 0800 917 2222 (Mon–Fri, 8am–6pm).

Before you call, you’ll need to have the following information to hand:

  • your contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • GP's or health worker's name
  • details of any time spent abroad or in a care home or hospital.

If someone is caring for you, they can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

After the initial call, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will post you a form called ‘How your condition affects you’, which you or your carer will need to complete and return.

They will next arrange for you to be assessed by an independent health professional at a local PIP assessment centre.

More information about applying for PIP can be found on the GOV.UK website .

Terminal illness rules

If you have a terminal illness and you’ve been told you are not expected to live for more than 12 months, you’ll get the enhanced rate for daily living and Mobility components.

To claim, contact the PIP claims line as above to start your claim. When calling the number, there is a special option for making the claim under the special rules. Also ask a medical professional for form SR1 , which they will fill in to give to you or send it to the DWP.

You won’t need the face-to-face assessment.

Find out more

Related pages

The EPiC Resource Centre is kindly sponsored by Cleenol: working for a cleaner, safer, kinder world.